Friday, October 26, 2007

Happy Fall!

Finally, it feels like fall. Yay!!...highs in the '60's and lows in the '40's. It has been kind of rainy and overcast the last few days, so I am definitely in the mood for soup. Here's what we will be having for dinner tonight:


White Chicken Chili

1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
5 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
3 c. chopped, cooked chicken
2 cloves, garlic, minced
3 (15 1/2 oz.) cans Great Northern beans
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 c. shredded Monterey Jack or Colby Jack cheese
salsa
sour cream

Saute garlic and onions in olive oil. Add beans, chicken broth, and seasonings. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and continue cooking 1 hour over low heat. Serve with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream and corn chips as toppings.


I have to share a story that Riley wrote at school a few days ago. I thought she did a great job! I love the part where she writes that "Mary got a surprise to herself...". Not bad for a first-grader...but I am biased.



Walker had his last soccer game last night. He had a lot of fun playing and we got a kick (no pun intended) out of watching this under 6 league. At one point last night, I heard Walker say to another boy, in the middle of the game, mind you, "I can run faster than you!", with a mean, eat dirt look on his face. Later, I saw the same boy push Walker, probably because Walker was talking smack. O.K. so maybe last night's game wasn't as much fun...but, overall it has been a great experience. Here are some pics from earlier games:





Here are some recent pics of Owen. After taking what seemed like hundreds of pictures, I finally caught him smiling. Such a sweet baby!







Lots of Halloween events going on around here: parties at school, church and one that will just be friends getting together for some frightful fun. We have yet to carve a jack-o-lantern this year...maybe tomorrow (When I was teaching Kindergarten, I carved one with my class, every year. A couple of times, we carved it too early and boy, did we have an awful smell to deal with. I have been trying to avoid that and wait until the week of, to carve one here.).

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! ;)


1 comment:

Anna Leigh said...

I can't believe that Walker is playing soccer! How cute and grown up!! I loved Riley's story. She has great handwriting for 1st grade. Also, thanks for the recipe. I am always looking for something new to cook.