Thursday, July 13, 2006

An Official Alabama Cheerleader

This week, Riley participated in the University of Alabama's Cheerleading Camp for elementary age girls. She had a blast! Tim or I would drop her off at Coleman Coliseum at 8:00 am (with a bottle of Gatorade...just like her Daddy), and I picked her up at 11:30 am. The instructor's name was Miss Amie...a real U of A cheerleader. She taught them cheers, band chants, stunts, formations, and jumps. They practiced in the indoor football facility ("The big room with fake grass where the football team practices when it is raining," according to Riley), along with about 100 high school cheerleaders there for camp, and about 12 different mascots. On Tuesday, they got to "play" with the mascots - an eagle, bear, tiger, chipmunk ("with a smile on his face" - wouldn't want it to be a sad chipmunk), and of course Big Al. She talked about that a lot, along with the fact that she got to be a "top girl". I was not a cheerleader in middle or high school, so at first I didn't know exactly what Riley was talking about. She explained that there were two girls that were "bases" and they did lunges; she would stand on their pockets; there was a "backspot". By the end of her elaborate explanation I understood that they were learning a stunt. I thought it was really neat that Miss Amie had taught them exactly what each position was called. Today, they did a performance for parents. If you haven't already guessed, we are HUGE Alabama fans, so today was definitely the highlight of my week. Not only did I get to see my precious daughter cheer in the indoor football facility (by the way, the general public is not allowed in this building), but, because I was walking in with one of the assistant basketball coach's wives, we walked through the football practice field, where the football team was practicing. Walker was in pure heaven. For those of you that aren't familiar with Alabama football, all practices are behind a tall fence that is covered with a tarp-like material. There is no way to even peek through to watch practice, much less walk on the field. O.K., so back to the performance. It was absolutely precious. She introduced them as "The 2006 University of Alabama Cheerleaders", and then said each of their names. That was followed by a jump, cartwheel, etc., of their choice. Riley did one of her best cartwheels. We watched them do several cheers, the stunt, and they were each presented with a certificate. It was a lot of fun to watch...we had a great time, and Riley learned a lot about being a cheerleader. I think I am ready for football season! ROLL TIDE!

Riley getting ready to cheer

Ala....Bama! Rooooollll Tide! Roll!

B-A-M-A! Bama all the way!

Big Bama Spell-Out...Give me a B! Give me an A! Give me an M! Give me an A! What's that spell? BAMA!

Riley & Miss Amie

Riley & Mary Helen...future Bama cheerleaders

5 comments:

Mommy of Boys said...

I LOVE it! That is so cute and what an exciting experience for such a big UA fan! She looks great!

Heather said...

That's great! She looks so cute. Being a huge Bama fan myself, I can only imagine your excitement. I think you definitely have a future Alabama cheerleader on your hands. Go Riley!

Susan said...

Those pictures are too cute!! I can only imagine how excited you guys were!!!! I'm going to ask her all about it tomorrow at Poppa & DD's. I can't wait. She looks so grown up too!! :)

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

SO cute!!! even if it is alabama..so cute!

Dallas said...

What a cutie! I am NOT a huge any college fan...but since we live so close to Fayetteville I have to "call the Hogs" occassionally. I guess Nora will be going to Hog camps...that sounds awful!