Saturday, June 24, 2006

Look out Tiger, LeBron, and Chipper!


Our two-year old, Walker, is all boy and keeps us in stitches most of the time. He loves every sport...and I mean EVERY SPORT!

*He adores basketball. He even dressed up as a basketball player for Halloween. We have had to move our Fisher Price basketball goal up to 5', because he wants to be able to shoot it...and he usually makes it. He has two Alabama basketball jerseys that he wears often. He has learned how to dribble the basketball, and enjoys watching it on t.v. with Tim. We went to several Alabama basketball games this past winter, and he was mesmerized...he loves his Chuck Davis bobblehead doll!

*He loves baseball. We have spent many a spring/summer night in the yard playing baseball. If he is up to bat, you can bet he is going to have that batting helmet on (which is about as big as he is!). The only pieces of baseball equipment we don't have at the moment is a batting glove and a catcher's mask. These will probably come in the near future. But, to improvise he will get his football helmet and wear it when he is playing catcher. I mean, c'mon it has a guard in the front, right? We have a friend that plays baseball for Alabama, and he really enjoyed watching him play, this past spring. We taped an Alabama baseball poster to the back of his closet door, and he can name several of the players. Hilarious! I love to hear him cheer at the games ...."Doe, Wyan, Doe! Number tutty-far!!!" (translation: Go, Ryan, Go! Number 34!!).

*He is passionate about football. He has every piece of football gear, including the pads. He drop kicks anything he can get his hands on, can throw pretty well, and he is getting better at catching. He has not been to an Alabama football game, yet, but maybe this season or next. He loves his football jerseys and pants. When he watches football on t.v. with Tim, he is constantly yelling, "WUN, WUN, WUN!" (translation: RUN, RUN, RUN!).

*He is infatuated with golf. He loves his plastic golf set (don't think it has a brand name). He lines up the ball, whacks it, it flies through the kitchen and usually hits the laundry room door...or a picture frame...or someone's head.... He prefers hitting golf balls with the driver, probably because he wants to see it fly through the air. No "fore" yelled at our house...so you better watch your back.

*He has an affection for soccer. He loves to take a soccer ball and dribble it (kicking in soccer for those of you that don't know), across the house. Thanks to Poppa and DD (Tim's parents), we have a soccer net that we keep in the backyard. He loves to go out there and kick, and kick, and kick, and kick.... However, he doesn't want to get the ball out of the net. Guess who has that job. The joys of motherhood! Riley played Upward soccer, last fall, and it killed him not to be out on the field, too.

*He enjoys hockey. The four major sports are a lot of fun, but recently he has developed a love for hockey. I know, hockey? I think he might have picked it up from a "Max and Ruby" episode (for those of you that have toddlers that watch Noggin). One day he went to the playroom, proceeded to take down the box of Checkers, took out a black one, got a plastic golf club, went to the hardwood floor, and said "Hottey, Mommy!". He shot the checker clear across the den. I love the imaginations of children! We have since gotten some miniature hockey sticks and a puck ...and he loves them.

*He is fascinated with croquet. I know, croquet? How random. I haven't bought a croquet set, and that is probably why he hasn't mentioned it lately. I guess if it has a ball (or round object in the case of hockey) he is drawn to it.

All of this to say, Walker is really into sports. Can you tell? He eats, breathes and sleeps (literally, his room is a sports theme) SPORTS!!!! Lately, he's been saying, "I watch bastetball (fill in the blank with the sport of the day) dame", (translation: I want to watch basketball on t.v.) We wouldn't have it any other way. I love it when he yells "YES!" after making a shot, or comes running out of his room with his football ensemble on, or is glued to the t.v. when he is watching Tiger play in a tournament. (sigh!). I remember thinking before we had kids, "I will never let my children throw, kick, or hit a ball in our house." Ha!Ha! Three picture frames and a half dozen scuffs on the walls later, I'm eating my words.

6 comments:

Susan said...

He is so funny. Last weekend at Poppa & DD's house, he was hitting the golf ball in the living room. Everytime he hit it, I had to duck because it came flying at me. It was amazing. I tried to get him to not hit so hard by getting the little golf hole & flag. He started laughing hysterically & I explained how you hit it real light. So I stood back & said "Try to make a hole in one" and of course he hit the ball with every ounce of energy he had. I should've known better.

Heather said...

It sounds like you definitely have quite the little athlete on your hands there. That is so great! I'm thinking a scholarship is in his future, maybe to the greatest university in the world--BAMA!!

Kristy said...

Anna, I was surprised to see your comment on my blog. Thanks. I cannot believe your kids are so big! They are adorable. Glad to see that things are going so well for you.

Mommy of Boys said...

He's VERY athletic! And he LOVES any sort of ball! He's so cute, Anna.

Mommy of Boys said...

Oh...will you email me and tell me how to get links on my blog...I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Thanks!

Tesney said...

Yea! You got the blog links. That is the only "extra" I've been able to add. I tried to put a little counter on mine that shows how many hits and where they're from...no luck...same with a photo album link like Kristen's.