Thursday, November 10, 2011

Go Cooper, Go!!!

About a month ago, Cooper's HIV doctor changed two of the three medications he was on.  One of his blood counts, his viral load (which is the amount of virus in his blood), was dangerously high.....691,000.  They would like for this number to be below 50!!!  (No, I did not mistype either number.  I knew you were wondering.)  His CD4 count, or white blood cell count, was fine....around 1900.  But, it was obvious to us all that the medicines were not working like they should.  Either he had developed an immunity to one or all of them in Ethiopia or his biological mother passed on an immunity to one or all of them.  So....because of that his meds needed to be switched.  We started on the new meds in October and I am HAPPY to say we found out yesterday some REALLY good news.  His viral load is at 6,480!!!!!  Woohooo!!!  And that's just being on new medication for 1 month!!  I know it's not exactly double digits, but we are making progress and we are super excited about that.  We are so thankful for our friends and family that pray for our little guy on a regular basis.  We are so blessed and God is so faithful! 





2 comments:

April Hollingsworth said...

Will his immune system be strong with a low viral load?

Laura said...

oooohhh that is awesome!!! Ainsleys has been on her meds for 1 month and just had her labs drawn this week...I CANNOT wait to see how her viral load is doing/decreasing!...this is her first time ever on meds!