Monday, September 12, 2011

Serious, Silly and Yummy...in one post.

Serious
We have the greatest friends...some near, some far, some old, some new.  While we were in Ethiopia we made wonderful, lifelong friends.  Friends that understand what we are going through and what God has called us to.  On our second trip to Ethiopia, we met the Seever's and became fast friends.  Jeff and Katie live in Ohio, have 4 bio kids, and are adopting 2 unrelated siblings from Ethiopia, Bedilu (4) and Meron (2).  They have been submitted to Embassy for their daughter, Meron, but their son's case is more complicated and Embassy wants more information.  Sound familiar?  Yeah, it does to me to.  Please join us in PRAYING for this awesome family that means so much to us.  My heart breaks for them because I know EXACTLY how this feels.  Bedilu and Meron need to come home to their family, soon! Please pray that the information is easily accessible, that all authorities will be on top of this situation, and that Jeff and Katie will have peace that passes all understanding.
 


    We have reached a major milestone, folks!  We can now ride through our town without Owen mentioning something about the tornado, tornado damage, or talking about one of the buildings affected by the tornado.  Five months later, my 4-year-old is starting to heal from that awful tragedy.  Praise God!

We had a great first week of school....hectic, but great.  Here are a few pics taken last week.








Silly

Just in the last week, I have learned that Riley does a great Elmo impression.  Funny how having a baby in the house again changes things!  It is so realistic that I have caught myself wondering "Who turned on Sesame Street?".  It is quite hilarious!  She also has a monkey imitation that makes everyone go into hiding....except Cooper....he loves both.

If you have seen my statuses on Facebook about Walker's "Rules in Life", I have one to add....#323 Sisters always know where missing shoes are.


Yummy
So, I stumbled upon (o.k., o.k. I found it on Pinterest) this fabulous blog, Delightful Order.  It is all about organization.  Each room of her house is organized to the nth degree. And when I mean organized, I mean every. single. item has a place (actually more like a box, bin, tote, or basket!).  It is so cool and has inspired me to get busy here.  I'm starting small...the laundry room, and I'm already loving the results. (Yes, this definitely falls in the "yummy" category...just for you Amy Pierce)

Crockpot recipes are my fav!  I love them. I love the fact that I don't have to slave in the kitchen for 2 hours prior to dinner time.  I love the way they make my house smell all day. So, recently I found a recipe for Slow Cooker Pork Roast.  I'm sharing the recipe with you, because I believe it is the bomb!  And, probably the best thing about it, is the fact that you can prepare the roast, freeze it, pull it out to thaw overnight and the next morning plop it in the crockpot. Bonus!  So, literally, I spent 5 minutes on dinner!

Slow Cooker Pork Roast
1 pork roast (about 2 lbs.)
1/4 cup paprika
2 T kosher salt
2 T black pepper
1 T garlic powder
1 T dry mustard
1/2 c. liquid smoke
barbeque sauce for serving

Place pork roast in a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Mix seasonings well, and sprinkle on meat.  Rub in and shake the bag to coat evenly. Add liquid smoke. Freeze or cook immediately. Cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Meat will be pull-apart tender.  Serve with warmed barbeque sauce.  Great for sandwiches or my favorite, bbq nachos!

1 comment:

April Hollingsworth said...

I do my roasts in the crock pot. Put cut up or baby carrots on the bottom, then potatoes, then roast on top. Sprinkle with a packet of onion soup mix, then pour on a can of cream of mushroom soup. Cook for 8 hours. Yummy!