Patience is not my strong suit. So, when we were told that we would have to wait 9-11 months to bring home our child from Ethiopia, I cringed. I know myself....really well. And I also knew that the 9-11 month wait would begin AFTER we had all the necessary paperwork completed and approved. We started this journey exactly one year ago, and we are still waiting. Waiting on forms to be approved....waiting on fingerprints to be approved....waiting on other people to do their jobs...waiting on things to be done the right way, with no mistakes....the first time.
He is telling me,"Slow down. Don't be in such a hurry. Things will be done in my time. I have a plan, a perfect plan. It will all work out and the rewards will be great."
God has a plan. His timing is perfect.
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12
The irony of it all is that God has been very patient with me. Every day I mess up...He forgives me yet, again. When I get so busy that I forget to spend time in prayer and don't read my Bible...He is patient with me. When I have fallen...He is there to pick me up, and dust me off. He has the ultimate patience.
But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. 1 Timothy 1:16
The checkout line at Walmart....I love having a well-stocked pantry and refrigerator. Watching a garden grow....I love being able to go out my backdoor and pick my own vegetables and flowers. Dirty clothes all over the house....One day it will click with my kids and they will realize there is NOT a laundry fairy. Reading the ending of a book first...Just being able to find the time to read a book is a miracle in itself! The wait times and long lines at Disney World...Priceless memories with my family. Waiting for so long for the adoption to go through....Bringing our baby home, and giving her a hope and a future.
It is all worth it. We are all worth it. Worth the forgiveness, worth the patience, worth the grace. I am so thankful He sees it that way.
3 comments:
Anna... I am struck by the similarity of what you and I are learning in two TOTALLY separate ways. I have been struggling with this same lesson. I opened up a devotional book recently, and there was a word in bold print that stood out to me on the page: *wait*... Not exactly exciting. But recently, I think God has been changing my image of waiting. I tend to think of waiting as sitting at a bus stop: BORING... So here is the image that popped into my head last wk that I think was from God: the warriors lined up behind William Wallace in the movie "Braveheart." A waiting full of anticipation... a waiting with a purpose. A waiting so purposeful, in fact, that without it, the victory would not be as sweet, or perhaps not even possible. I have no idea if this will help you or not, but just in case it will... I wanted to share. It's like you said: God's timing is perfect. If we could see what he sees, chances are, we would see enemy troops lined up somewhere, and His warriors waiting for just the right time. Hang in there!!
glad to see you post! excited as you continue your journey to adopting. wish we could see your sweet family! we need to make it down to T-town soon.
Anna, I'm so glad we've been able to connect! Adoption is an incredible journey but definately not an easy one. Only in retrospect can I see how clearly God worked every step of the process. Hang in there!
Post a Comment