Saturday, June 13, 2009

True Beauty

It's been a little while since Anna and I have updated everyone on the adoption process. After much prayer and research, we've decided which Adoption Agency we will use and plan to send in the paperwork this week. We've also begun the fundraising planning and we'll be having a garage sale with our friends the Dixon's this upcoming Saturday at the University Church bus barn. We'll also have a few other fundraising opportunities in the future if you'd like to help.

Anna and I ran a half-marathon in Jackson, MS today. I'm so proud of her, especially when she told me this one won't be her last. My normal running crew didn't come with me on this one, so I had to run this one alone. When you run 13.1 miles, you have a lot of time to think. (Apparently I'm one of the 5 people left in the US that doesn't run with an ipod.) Just a few random thoughts that went through my mind on the run today:

OK, there is tanned. There is really tanned. And there is leathery! Some of you people need to back off of the tanning beds. And that applied to men and women today.

Why do the spectators say "Almost there!", when you are halfway there? Happens every race. For you non-runners out there, almost there is the last mile. Any further, just say "Keep Going!"

Man that guy has an awful running form and he's so slow. Hey wait! He's in front of me.

There's a small dead snake in the road. Umm... where there is one snake, there is more!

However, because we're going through the adoption process, most of the running time was consumed with the thought of the adoption. One thing that God has made clear to me lately, is that this process is not about bringing a child to America. It's about taking care of an orphan that had no other choice. It's about giving a child a loving home, regardless of where I am from, or where she is from. I am thankful for the opportunities that God has provided me here. But I'm also well aware that there are things in our culture that I absolutely hate!

I was reminded of that in a blog post that I read yesterday before the run. There is nothing new here, but the visual evidence is amazing... and utterly sad. The effects on both women young and old make me sick. If I leave it to the magazines, TV and movies, my daughter is going to have a completely distorted view of beauty. That goes for Riley and the daughter we plan to adopt from Ethiopia.

(For those of you that didn't click the link, this picture says it all. Just take a look at the differences between the actual photo and the one that made the magazine cover. But seriously, go click the link and see the entire post. Please?)








Here's the crazy thing. It was HOT during the race today. Crazy HOT! And there were fit women everywhere running in what amounted to a bikini. (FYI, women... a little modesty...please?) And our culture would define those women as beautiful. But you know what? There was nothing more beautiful to me than seeing Anna round the corner at the end of the marathon. Knowing the amount of time she put into training. Knowing what she stands for. Knowing what crossing that finish line meant to her. Knowing how she loves me, a complete goofball. Don't get me wrong, I think she is gorgeous. But of all of the qualities mentioned, that ranks last when it comes to beauty.

Unfortunately our culture doesn't do a good job of teaching women that. We men don't do a good job of reinforcing that with our wives and daughters. True beauty is in the heart.

Now if only we can teach that to both of our daughters. (Wow! Still feels weird to say!)

2 comments:

TrueTrio Designs said...

Hey Tim and Anna! Congrats on the run today!! How exciting!

I wanted to share a blog I came across today... it's http://blessingsfromethiopia.blogspot.com

Read the June 5th entry- it's pretty awesome.

We're praying with you guys on this amazing journey!

Oh, and I can't agree enough, Tim, about how sickening it is how our culture portrays "beauty." I see the effects of it every single day that I work with teen girls. But you're right, changing that mindset all starts at home - from Dad usually. So let your girl(s) know how beautiful they are!

Jenny said...

1. 10 man points for this post Tim.
2. Thank you for making me feel much better about myself!
3. You are a blessed man, but Anna is also a blessed woman to have a husband who would say such sweet things about her.
4. Riley and your future daughter are blessed beyond measure to have a dad who thinks about these things and intends to intill in them the value of true beauty!
5. I'm glad I know you and your awesome family:).